Thursday, September 01, 2005

Now what?

So Katrina has come and gone and New Orleans looks like a bowl of soup. The last I heard from Kent he hasn't been in contact with his family. All that really means is that phone lines are down, but that's to be expected. I hope they're okay.

I had family down there that I hadn't heard about until yesterday. I thought for sure their house would be underwater. They got about 3 to 4 inches inside and the whole family is up to their armpits in search and rescue. I really shouldn't have expected any less from Kevin and Cindy. My grandmother was in a nursing home in Houma. That nursing home doubles as an evacuation shelter, so she's just fine. I don' t know if she even knew there was a storm.

It really is amazing that a storm can be so big that it swallows up half of the Gulf of Mexico but a few miles one way or the other can make such a difference. Lafayette got a nice breezey day.

Daisy, I'm so sorry for your loss (Regan too, if you're reading). I know how much you really loved New Orleans. It was a city that touched many in a very special way. I don't think it's gone forever, but if there were a hospital for cities New Orleans would be in the ICU. We're all hopeful for a speedy and strong recovery.

I hope all of your loved ones are safe. I hope that they all have a place to sleep.

3 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last I heard, Cindy is buggin out of N.O. Apparantly, The Harrahan Fire Department was acting as the Fort Harrahan Fire Department.

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have familly down there, but they all got out. I don't know how their houses fared, but they're still alive. It's so heartbreaking to look at the images on TV. So much of my childhood memories include NO and I so wanted to share that with my kids. Now I'm not sure I'll be able to.
-katie

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're doing ok. I've emailed with your sister, but I can't get through to anywhere in Louisiana on the phone! I've been upset and crying for the past week. It's just so horrible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home