Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The job hunt

Well, I had my first interview yesterday. It was with CASA of Natchitoches. They are a sort of extension of the court system dedicated to helping the courts make the very best decisions for children in abusive or negligent situations. It's a supervisory position that pays like a real job and is Monday through Friday from 8 to 5. Paid holidays, paid vacaion and sick leave that you have to earn. You know, a real job. The interview was okay, the director or whatever her title is is a really sweet lady and I think she liked me too. But liking someone isn't the same as wanting to hire them. I think I asked good questions, and spoke well in general, but when she said, "so tell me about yourself" I completely drew a blank! I talked about the karate school and wanting to be a clinical psychologist. But I really didn't have much to say. I learned a lot about the position, but I blew my shot at letting her learn very much about me, and after all, that's what an interview is for. So I called my sister and she told me to write a thank you note and say that I was nervous during the interview and then answer her query more fully. So I did and mailed it today. I talked about my extended and immidiate family, I talked about Nathan, I talked a lot about my brother, I talked about camping, gardening, the children I plan to have, french horns and the fact that my socks don't always match. I thanked her for her time and wished her luck in her decision and for the future of the organization, basically. She told me during the interview that I'd find out whether or not I got the job this Friday. Friday's a long way away.

Then this morning I got a call from a mental intsitution in Pineville for a job I previously applied for. It pays 6.50 an hour for the first 6 months, then there's a 4 percent raise, so that's 6.76. It was that psych aide position I may have told some of you about. They want me to come in for an interview at 8 something in the morning (an hour away, mind you) on what day? Friday! It is less like a real job, but it's in my field. It's an hour away. It pays less. We would HAVE to get another car. I'm more likely to get that job. It would probably be full time, we need the money. Damn it all!

Then there's the medicaid analyst position I applied for. It is here in Natch. It pays like a real job. It's minimum qualification is listed as "a bachalor's degree." I applied a while ago and I never heard back from them. They reposted the position! I'm going to apply again, but it just makes me so mad that I know that they didn't just simply not get any applicants! I applied! Someone there said, "well what about her? we could interviw her." the someone else said, "nah, lets just post it again and hope for better replys"

Grrrr.

So that is how things have been. I think I'm gonna go buy lottery tickets.

1 Comments:

At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't trust people who tell you that they'll call you by "X" day. I've had that told to me on both interviews that I went on, and neither one called me back. If you're truly interested, though, and they don't call you back, it is OK to do a follow-up call after the time that they pretended they would call you back by...

Job-hunting eats nutsack.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home